Mr Bate is our Learning Mentor in school. Mr Bate is a qualified teacher with a wealth of experience in Primary Schools. The aim of a learning mentor is to support children and families in the school community and to help overcome barriers to learning. Barriers to learning could include attendance/punctuality, environment, emotional needs, social and cultural needs or even lack of basic needs.
A Learning Mentor is here to:
- Listen and offer support
- Promote positive behaviour
- Help children understand and manage their emotions
- Offer encouragement and build self-esteem and confidence
- Help resolve and manage friendship issues
- Support the EHA and TAF Process
- Identify the barriers to learning and set targets
- Work and liaise with outside agencies in coordination with the SENDCo
- Monitor attendance across school
- Offer wellbeing support to staff
Who does the Family Learning Mentor work with?
- Individuals and groups of children
- Children new to school
- Teachers and other members of staff i.e. support/welfare staff
- Schools. Including nurseries and High Schools
- External agencies such as; Social Services, Educational Psychologists, CAMHS, Children and Families Wellbeing Service. counselling charities and agencies, Police, Health Professionals, Education Welfare Service, School Doctor/Nurse.
- Community and Voluntary Organisations
The Role of the Family Learning Mentor
- Build confidence, self-esteem and resilience
- Improve social skills, form relationships with friends, family and staff
- Improve attendance and punctuality
- Remove barriers to learning
- Help children to achieve their potential
- Assist smooth transition to High School
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of trust in which pupils feel able to discuss their progress, opinions, targets etc.
- Aid in supporting communication between home and school
- Help accessing support from outside agencies including referrals
- Provide information and signposting to services in the local area
- Provide a listening ear to parents who need it
- Informal support with strategies for behaviour, resilience, confidence building etc.
Mr Bate’s other Roles in school:
- Senior Mental Health Lead
- Mental Health First Aider
- Paediatric First Aid Level 2
- Trips, Sporting events and Residentials
- Leading the School Council
- School Choir
Mr Bate is available to contact via the school office (01772 862788) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org FAO Mr Bate.